No products in the cart.
Wearing a mask has almost become second nature now and has led to lots of questions about times when they are actually needed. They are designed to protect us from illness, but also health problems that occur from inhaling dust and other particles. With this in mind, should you wear a mask while cleaning a chimney?
A mask should always be worn when cleaning a fireplace and chimney to prevent inhaling contaminating and polluting particles. P2-rated face masks are best to wear when fireplace cleaning. Without a face mask, dust, gases, and combustion particles may be inhaled, causing serious respiratory problems.
It’s important to protect yourself when cleaning dirty places such as chimneys and fireplaces, otherwise, you risk becoming very sick. Your safety should be your number 1 priority while cleaning a chimney.
Do you need to wear a mask when cleaning the fireplace?
You need to wear a mask when cleaning the fireplace to protect yourself from inhaling contaminating agents and pollutants, including dust. Fireplaces have solid particles such as dust, fog, fumes, combustion particles and evaporated liquid particles that can damage your respiratory tract. This is why wearing a mask while cleaning a fireplace is very important. The mask will prevent you from inhaling any of these dangerous substances and particles.
Masks with P filters are the best to wear when cleaning the fireplace. P2 masks have a 92% filtration level and are recommended for non-toxic dust, smoke, aerosol, virus, and bacteria protection. You can get a P2 dust mask that will help prevent all of the hazardous dust and grime particles from entering your airways when cleaning a fireplace.
Without wearing a mask while cleaning a fireplace, you risk inhaling a range of particles that can stick to your lungs. This can damage your lungs, impacting your ability to breathe properly. The effect of inhaling dirty particles from fireplaces has can be a long-term problem. There is potential for your lungs to never recover. So, for your health and safety, we always recommend wearing a face mask, specifically a P2 respirator mask, when cleaning the fireplace.
Do you need to protect your skin when cleaning a fireplace?
It’s important to protect your skin when cleaning out a fireplace, otherwise, you can have rashes, irritation, or allergic reactions occurring on your skin. This irritation can occur from the dust and grime in the fireplace. While you should mostly only be burning wood, people do burn other materials such as fire starters, cardboard, and other recycling objects. You never know what chemicals are mixed in with these materials that can cause irritation on your skin when you go to clean the fireplace.
The other reason it’s important to protect your skin is to prevent cuts, infections, and burns. Without proper safety gear on, it’s easy to end up with a cut somewhere on your skin when cleaning a fireplace. You may not even notice it at first. This cut can then get infected by the dirt in the fireplace. Whether it’s a combustion fireplace or an open fireplace that you’re cleaning, you should always protect your skin when cleaning it out.
Should you protect your eyes when cleaning out a fireplace?
As well as skin and airway protection, you should protect your eyes when cleaning out a fireplace. It is very easy to damage your eyes while cleaning a fireplace if you don’t wear protective gear. Dirt and dust particles can swirl around and land in your eyes. This can scratch your eyes and end up causing permanent damage to your vision. Safety goggles or clear safety glasses are recommended for eye protection when cleaning out a fireplace. They are made from strong plastic that is unlikely to break from any fireplace debris.
Should you wear gloves when cleaning out a fireplace?
Wearing gloves when cleaning out a fireplace is good to protect your hands from potential splinters and other wounds. Leather and welding gloves are commonly worn to clean out a fireplace because they can be thick and still flexible. The leather will stop little wood pieces from stabbing into your hands as you clear debris out of the fireplace.
These gloves can also protect your hands if you happen to grab leftover embers from a previous fire. You should always wait for a fireplace to be completely cool before cleaning it out. But there is a possibility for everything else to have cooled while a few hidden embers are still warm. Wearing gloves will protect you from potential burns when cleaning the fireplace.
Can a dirty fireplace make you sick?
A dirty fireplace can make you sick if you leave it dirty for too long. There are lots of pollutants that can settle in your fireplace from burning different materials. When this is lit, the pollutants quickly become airborne and can release into your household. This makes it very easy for you to end up inhaling toxic particles without even realizing it.
The toxic particles can float around your house for days if you don’t open up your house. They can also continue to linger in and around the fireplace, sticking to the dirt inside it. Without cleaning your fireplace, the number of pollutants continues to increase, and you will inhale many dangerous particles. This can make you very sick as the particles enter your respiratory system and stick to your insides. Your lungs are the most at-risk here. You can develop lung diseases from inhaling dirty particles from your fireplace. This results in long-term lung disease, impacting your ability to breathe.
To stop a dirty fireplace from making you sick, you need to regularly clean the fireplace.